Re: OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

On 13/07/14 03:37, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2014-07-12 at 12:46 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
You might want to try and find out if those times coincide with your
system operators restoring a backup to their drives.  Some SysOps do
really half-arsed job at restore and backup, mangling things
terribly.

Though I am not experiencing the OP's issue, I am also experiencing
thunderbird IMAP access issues. ATM I suspect (Note: Wild guess, no
proof!) to be related to systemd and NetworkManager restarts, esp.
upon
updates.

Have you tried connecting to the same IMAP server with a different
client, e.g. Evolution, Mutt, Claws, ...?

Well, not recently!

When I first joined the U. of Orcland, the Stats department had a very good in-house IT consultant who helped me to get set up. That was a while ago, and he is, sad to say, long gone. My recollection is that he tried to get Evolution to work, and then Mutt, but there were problems. Can't remember what. Then we got Thunderbird to fly
(! :-) ) and since then I have stuck with the devil I know.

Thunderbird works fine for me *most* of the time; just occasionally I get these annoying subscribe glitches happening.

I hesitate to fool about experimenting with things that I don't understand completely, lest I inadvertently do some serious damage to the system. It would be very difficult for me to repair such damage if it occurred, since my comprehension of the subtleties of the OS is very limited (I just use recipes!) and I have effectively no useful help to draw upon. As I said in another email, the IT people at the U. of Orcland are not very helpful to me. (To be fair, at one time they put in a lot of time on some problems that I was having, got nowhere with these problems and got sick of it.)

So I don't feel like mucking about with Evolution or Mutt or .... I would waste endless time --- it takes me forever to figure things out --- even if I didn't perpetrate a disaster.

cheers,

Rolf Turner