Re: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card for Dell Inspiron 1545: How to Drive It!

On 19.06.2014 16:27, Temlakos wrote:
On 06/19/2014 10:19 AM, poma wrote:
On 19.06.2014 12:55, Temlakos wrote:
On 06/18/2014 05:37 PM, poma wrote:
On 18.06.2014 22:42, Temlakos wrote:
On 06/18/2014 04:37 PM, poma wrote:
On 18.06.2014 19:11, Temlakos wrote:
On 06/18/2014 12:05 PM, poma wrote:
On 18.06.2014 17:13, Temlakos wrote:
Everyone:

I have a three-year-old Dell Inspiron 1545. It came with the Dell
Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card.

The current output of lspci -k |grep -iA5 wire gives "Dell
Wireless
1397
WLAN Mini-Card" as a subsystem. The relevant kernel module is
"ssb."

$ lspci -k |grep -iA5
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

Currently this card will not connect. Nor can I force it to
connect by
directly editing the network interface. I've tried several times,
but I
can't get to a MAC address for it.

What driver(s) or other kernel module(s) should I install, and
where can
I get them?

Broadcom has a 32-bit and a 64-bit tarball for what they say is a
driver
for this card. Should I install that on my system?

Please advise. It seems a shame to operate any laptop without
wireless
connectivity.

Temlakos

The complete output of this command:
$ lspci -knn | grep -A100 Wireless

poma

The output, after a couple of module installations, now reads:

Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb, wl

Still no wireless connection available on that laptop.

Temlakos

Whence is "wl"?

OK, to get to Vendor&Device ID, hit this command:
$ lspci -knn | grep -A10 BCM4312

Output could look like this:
BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
       Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000c]
       Kernel driver in use: wl
       Kernel modules: wl, ssb

"ssb" is a specific bus module, i.e. "Sonics Silicon Backplane
driver"
Your "BCM4312" is attached to it.

BTW do you have the firmware installed?

poma

Earlier I installed the broadcom-wl and kmod-wl packages.

Output reads: 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: broadcom Corporation
BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14d4:4315] (rev 01)
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb, wl

In that order.

Temlakos

So you are using the original Broadcom's module i.e. "wl",
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
i.e.
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/20/SRPMS/repoview/wl-kmod.html

Is that right?

However something there is not quite bright!
The device is advertised as "broadcom", but if you are looking at
hwdata databases i.e.
$ grep ^14e4 /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
14e4  Broadcom Corporation
$ grep ^14d4 /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
14d4  Panacom Technology Corp
"14d4" is not a Broadcom's vendor ID i.e. "14e4"

If your device is advertised with "proper" vendor ID i.e. "14e4" it
"should" be supported by "b43" module,
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

And even with that, you should install the firmware,
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Device_firmware_installation

$ man 1 b43-fwcutter
$ less /usr/share/doc/b43-fwcutter/README.too
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/developers

Perhaps the only problem is "wrong" vendor ID, but to conclude that
you can play with the kernel's module source code or seek advice at
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Bug_reporting
&
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-wireless

poma

I apologize. I made a typographical error. That top line should end in
"[14e4:4315] (rev 01).

I gather those commands give me a place to go to get the firmware and
put it in. I never installed any firmware.

By the way: the Dell Inspiron 1545 has a button with a picture of a
wireless antenna tower on it. I assume that works in the Windows
environment to turn wireless connectivity on and off. Does it work at
all in the Linux environment? Or may I safely ignore it? (It also
functions as "F2" if I strike the blue "Fn" key first.)

Temlakos

The explanation could be found in the user manual, right?
With a little salt and pepper. :)

It should be a switch actually associated with a BIOS that manages the
connection and disconnection of wireless devices.
It can be called a "hardware" part of the story.
The other part of it is a "software" one, cause it can be managed in
that way.
When you combine these two i.e. hardware & software management,
problem arises.
You can read it yourself, all the logs related to the dell-laptop
rfkill interface,
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/drivers/platform/x86/dell-laptop.c

What you can try is apply the parameter of module with the value
"enabled" adding it to the kernel command line:
"dell-laptop.force_rfkill=1"
If you ever need it.

Did you understood all the steps necessary for working wifi?

poma

Well, when I block out enough time to do the job, I will move in this
order: seek out and download a firmware package, run the commands listed
in the manual and at the other site, and make sure of the rfkill
interface. And if I still cannot connect, you know I'll be back here.

Thus far I've saved everything. I haven't had people answer me back so
fast on a problem I ran into since I first signed on--thank you all. If
this works, you'll have saved me about $500 US in getting another
laptop. (Unless I can easily replace the hardware with something that
obeys the open-hardware conventions of most wireless interfaces today.
This is the only machine in which I even had to ask about wireless
connectivity--I have a minitower with a wireless interface, that F20
found right away, found the service set, and asked me for the WPA
password. Why can't all wireless interfaces behave this way,
straight-out-of-the-box? Oh, well.)

Temlakos

Someone might ask the same question to you. :)
Here you are in the FOSS world.

poma