Re: Thunderbird--find messages

On 05/17/14 04:52, Doug wrote:
I didn't know what list to send this to, but since there has been
> some discussion about Mozilla products here, I'll try this one.

I get a large number of messages every day, in addition to those I
filter out and don't see.  Unfortunately, some of these messages
> seem to come in out of time sync, for one reason or another.
> I don't send everything on the incoming list to trash as soon as I
> read it. Some of the letters I keep for later reference. Some are
> tagged, some not.

emails are shown by time they arrive to you. when they are out of
time order, it is because of delays reaching your email provider.

The resulting message list may have two or three, or tonight, 20,
> unread messages mixed in with the read and temporarily saved
> messages, so that the Inbox reads "Inbox (20)" even tho you are at
the bottom of the list. Now you have to go and find these 20 emails,
> which are scattered among perhaps 100 or more messages in the list
> which have been read already.

this is not a fault of thunderbird and something one has to contend
with.

It would be nice if there were a button somewhere that would go to
> the highlighted messages, one at a time, starting at the top and
> working its way down, until they have all been opened and/or
deleted.

as Ed Greshko replied, you have a sort option in the "View" selection.

if you are reading emails with "Unthreaded", last of selects under
"View > Sort by", select "Date" and they will be by time sent stamp.

if you use "Threaded", use "View > Sort by > Order received" so
they will sort by time stamp.

ie;

  View > Sort by > Date + Unthreaded

  View > Sort by > Order received + Threaded

may not seem logical, but this is how i find it to work in
thunderbird up to 24.5.0.

hth.

--

peace out.