Re: Coding Practice [was Re: Serious OpenSSL vulnerability]

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 22:19:47 +0200,
  Frantisek Hanzlik <franta@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not SSL/TLS guru and I'm not in-deep study heartbeat OpenSSL bug
(mainly because I consider Fedora 15+ as too problematic and stay at
F14 with eventual migration to CentOS 6 on my servers, thus they aren't
affected with this bug), but - it is truth, that when private key is
stealed, this _always_ implied, that encrypted traffic may be read
with private key knowledge? As I know, when e.g. Diffie-Hellman key
exchanging is used, then either private key knowledge isn't sufficient
to decode network traffic. Of course, TLS RFCs give us some basic set
of mandatory ciphersuites which should know every TLS endpoint, and
there are also these, where private key knowledge is sufficient for
traffic decoding. But when at my side I allow e.g. (contrary to RFCs)
only DH ciphersuites, then maybe either I'm not able establish a
connection, or my connection is reliable - although connection is
tapped by someone, who keep my private key. Or am I wrong?

If you have the private key and can redirect network traffic you can do man in the middle attacks. If forward security isn't being provided then just being able to see the traffic can allow you to get session keys.

Depending on what you don't like about current Fedoras, you might try out the XFCE or Mate desktops. They provide an experience similar to Gnome 2. If you have an old graphics card, you will want to use kdm or lxdm instead of gdm.