Re: Fedora *is* for servers! [was Re: Need advice]

On 04/22/2014 05:19 AM, Cristian Sava wrote:
Put more succinctly, there are some users that Fedora should lose because they are only using Fedora
based on a lack of understanding of what Fedora is trying to accomplish.  And conversely, there are
some people who are marketing Fedora based on that same misunderstanding, and causing damage
to the "brand".
Right - IMO, Fedora is in crisis, one primarily made @RH.

Agreed, but I don't think we would agree on exactly what the crisis is.

--Russell
Well,... I think Fedora is a wonderful distro, both for servers &
desktops, but not for anyone.
I feel more comfortable with Fedora than with Centos and I run Fedora
servers for many years with great success. I also use it as desktop at
home and at work.
And yes, it breaks sometimes after some nasty updates and I may revert
them, but I know how to fix needed things and all is working well.
I am not the only one to think Fedora is a stable distro, if you know
what you're doing.

C. Sava

I agree with you on that! I use Fedora as a desktop and I'm JUST starting to learn it's "Server Capabilities" as soon as I get a handle on that I will start to use it and deploy it on my home network which isn't much. LoL! I use CEntOS as well and frankly I don't notice much difference from Fedora, since they both use the YUM and I can get most things done from the command line. I at first thought that the announcement from CEntOS that they were becoming "part" of Red Hat would be a bad thing, that they might possibly go away, but I think its better this way, there was so much confusion for me at first when I saw CEntOS.....Scientific....and even Fedora, that was one of the reasons I chose Fedora as my main OS at home, because it wasn't a "cookie-cutter' copy of something else....it looked original enough to differentiate itself from everything else...I guess different strokes for different folks is all.

EGO II