Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

On 2014-03-24 08:25, Liam Proven wrote:
On 23 March 2014 21:56, lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Installing on a laptop requires encrypted partitions.  They can be
stolen too easily.

I have never ever used this and never expect or plan to. I suggest
that your blanket statement is too sweeping.

http://xkcd.com/538/

This is good but I agree with Lee, encryption is necessary on a laptop, a business one especially. Lack of encryption could be a court case.

Nowadays you may have SSDs which supposedly last longer when not
written much to but mostly read from, so you might put the
partitions that can be read-only on the SSDs and use magnetic disks
for things like /var, /tmp, /home and swap.

Machines come with dozens of gigs of RAM now. I'm not sure there's
much argument for swap at all, and personally, I use tmpfs for
better performance and a self-cleaning /tmp tree.

New machines come with dozens of gigs of ram. Try getting a laptop with that much ram. tmpfs is a great idea for privacy but it is a pain on a lower end machine. Found that out the hard way.

And it`s not too difficult.  The installer doesn`t need to do the
partitioning, the user does it.  The installer only needs to give
the user a good tool to do the partitioning the user wants and let
them use it.  Good tools to do partitioning are already available,
and the installer doesn`t need to re-invent the wheel in that.

I mostly agree, but bear in mind that the installer must cope with
both experts and novices. That's a tough call.

I'd say it's /too/ simplified at the moment, though, and I think you
might agree...?

And that needs to be an option that is clear to the person doing the install. Simple choice. Easy or custom. Not clicking Done and then getting to choose the partitioning options.

Perhaps it even shouldn`t.  Why force the user to learn how to use
yet another partitioning tool they even rarely use unless they
install Fedora all the time?  Why not give them a choice, like
either cfdisk or parted, then tell the installer what to do with
each partition and let them switch between these until they are
done --- or let the installer do whatever partitioning it wants,
which means that all existing data on the disks will be deleted.

Mostly, I would agree, actually.