Re: Can't stand Gnome3, I think it's time for Fedora to move on

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
HI

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

    That's especially true if you consider that many people are installing Linux
    on older computers, especially laptops, so as to get some more use out of
    computers that aren't up to running the latest versions of Windows.  If they
    don't know about the various DEs and/or spins, they may just look at the
    requirements for Fedora with Gnome, see that they don't have the hardware to
    run it properly and give up.

The requirements for the installer is more than any desktop environment in
Fedora making Fedora not really a good choice for lower end systems anyway.

Other than GNOME not running well on low end video, I haven't seen any issues with the installer through FC18, anyway. The upgrade process seems troubled (see my other thread) but the install has been good to me, all the way down to a laptop running a Pentium-M setup (which I love for its 17in screen and perfect touch on the keyboard). I have four ATOM system, none of which cost more than $300 to buy or build, and they work fine on 18, will try 19 one of these days. Not for gaming, and probably heavy graphics, rendering, etc, but for mail and browsing normal websites I have no issues. One handles two security cameras and a 8TB RAID array for backups, another is a firewall, etc.

Caution noted, I'm aware that there are limitations, but a lot of us have modest graphics needs and if XFCE will install, that's all we need.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>