Best (Fedora) way to capture/archive videos for LATER editing?

Greetings,

I already know my way around nonlinear video editing on Linux. This
time I'm looking for pointers to general information useful for the
procedure below, as well as tips on the best software and hardware
peripherals to do it on Fedora boxes.

My relatives asked me to "make sense" of the family home made videos.
So I should transform an ugly mess of already existing analog or
digital movies of ALL sorts into one archive of digital video clips
ready for later editing.

"ALL sorts" means everything from VHS and DV tapes to home-made DVDs
and NEVER edited footage by assorted camcorders, smartphones, digital
cameras..

"later editing" means that the "ONLY" thing I'm supposed to do now is:

- capture the video from FireWire camcorders, VHS players etc, when
  not already on file

- discard all the useless scenes (like those ten-minutes-long close
  ups of the ground of the inside of a backpack, because somebody
  forgot to turn the camcorder off and started walking...)

- convert all what's left, regardless of its origin, in clips in one
  open digital format. Possibly lossless, possibly able to carry some
  metadata inside like author, comments, subject tags...

all the real editing and "publishing", like mixing clips, adding
effects, titles and soundtracks, uploading to YouTube, burning to DVD,
whatever.. will happen later, if/when somebody feels like it. I "just"
have to prepare the raw video archive, that is to save the footage
(minus the useless scenes) all in one place. Therefore, the questions
are:

what do you think is the best "one, open digital format" (assuming it
exists...) that would make it possible later editing and transcoding,
with the smallest possible degradation? What forums or online
tutorials would you recommend to know more on this?

What Fedora-compatible video capture hardware should I buy to hook VHS
players, Firewire camcorders... to my computer?

what tools do you recommend (command-line stuff is OK) for grabbing
the video from that hardware, transcoding and saving to disk only
specified parts automatically (meaning connect the VHS player, then
tell Fedora "save by yourself only the first 5:30 minutes, then from
minute 40:20 to 43:10, of the incoming video")

Thanks a lot for any feedback

Marco