Re: installiing joomla

<snip>
Please set up permission to apache user, probably it will be chmod
apache:apache /var/www/http
You should NOT change ownership of /var/www/http to Apache, never do
that.  That's a VERY BAD THING!!!!!!  Anyone who advises you to do that
is not to be trusted (whether it's because they're being malicious, or
simply that they don't know what they're talking about).  That allows

</snip>
After researching and actually doing all this for some 10 years I find:

There is some belief that /var/www/html is sacrosanct.
It is, albeit with a couple of differences, (/var directory) no more so than /home/user/some/other/directory
http.conf  DirectoryRoot  makes it viable or not.
It does not matter which directory you use you still have to have user ownership and suitable permsissions in some form. I have, in 10 years never found, having the setup described previously, to present danger to my home use development boxes using Fedora or Ubuntu systems. One still must have their local machine and modem locked down but that is another discussion.

In deference, there are some points worth mentioning.
Joolma, et al, are GUI based, not text based so access matters. If as below one does not change apache ownerships:
- Setting up Joolma, Drupal or the like cannot be done unless one is root.
- One has to be root not sudo root.
- To have to be root, to install these as root, makes all files contained therein root ownership and permissions. - Everything from here in has to be done as root, not sudo root and the GUI systems all have to be used as root As such, playing in root user while connected to the internet, now that really IS dangerous. - User access to manipulate the systems becomes virtually impossible with altering other access methods and I do not recommend that course for setting up a sandpit test site. That also is for another discussion. I am certain that if I had gross errors in my advice, Rick, Brett, and others more expert than I, people for whom I have great respect, would have advised differently.

Roger