Re: Reinstall over LVM

On 27/08/13 18:36, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
On 08/27/2013 12:02 PM, Roger wrote:
On 27/08/13 15:21, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
On 08/27/2013 10:17 AM, Roger wrote:
On 27/08/13 14:04, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
On 08/27/2013 08:04 AM, Roger wrote:
Is it possible to do a re installation of Fedora 19 where the file
system is LVM on a 2nd partition on my hard drive without losing files
in the /home directory structure?
There was a discussion about this some time ago but I didn't take much
notice then.
TIA
Roger
You can re-install, as long as you maintain the same LVM structure in
partitioning, and you can retain files if do not choose to reformat the
logical volume for '/home'

Thank you rmc.
No reason to change the LVM.
This however begs another question.
The installation was originally Fedora 18 which I upgraded to Fed19. I'm
guessing all the apps and installed files, like inkscape, scribus, etc
are in the /root part of the LVM aka /sbin /bin /usr /etc and so on --
is this correct?
Can I format only the /boot and /swap, will all those installed apps
remain intact, and be accessible as before?
TIA
Roger

You had said that you need to re-install F19. That usually means you
want to re-install all the packages that come with the Operating System,
and the best accompaniment to that is re-formatting the root filesystem.
Just re-formatting the '/boot'/ and 'swap' partitions during re-install
of the Operating System may have different end results depending on what
packages you choose during the re-install.

So the question now arises on why you need to re-install Fedora. Would
your objective be attained with just re-installing packages that you
have some issues with ? Also, the user specific customisations of most
of the applications reside as dot files in the user's home directory, so
re-formatting the root filesystem, and re-installing all the
applications will not impact those customisations, as long as you do not
reformat the home partition. On the other hand, if you are running any
servers, you may need to backup their configuration files before the
re-install, and put them back in after.

My problem is the /boot partition. it is empty.
I was installing the nvidia driver following some instructions and right
at the last instant made an error so while everything is really in it's
place, the system is useless.
No servers, it's a home desktop development system.
Roger

If it is just the '/boot' partition, you could probably copy over the
contents from a similar system, regenerate grub config file, and
re-install grub stage 1 if required.

Or you could boot into rescue mode from ISO, have partitions mounted,
chroot to installed system filesystems, and reinstall associated
packages - like kernel, grub2, grub2-tools ...pretty hard way...

I have not tried out either methods, so cannot guarantee they will work. ;-)

What I know will work is - take back-up of '/home' and wherever you have
data, reinstall entire OS without re-formatting '/home'. Put back any
data missing :-)

Best way would have been to take back-ups before tinkering with the
'/boot' filesystem. But it is easier to see that in hind-sight....

Thanks Rejy I have just done complete backups of everything using Ubuntu, Its been a lifesaver running 2 or more operating systems.
Tomorrow I'll get into the installation.
Puzzling thing I just noticed. I did a fresh install on that Fed18 partition months ago and it has used all available space, 53 gig for root and 43 gig for /home.
Might delete the lot and start over.
Cheers
Roger
Thanks