Re: Video is slow

On 08/26/2013 12:20 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
* Any of the remaining stuff about PAE kernels, selinux policies, grub
   tweaking and manually blacklisting nouveau should be frown upon. Not
   only that those things are not necessary for the installation of the
   driver, but moreover they can be downright dangerous if handled by
   a newbie.

My current desktop uses a PAE kernel, and I presume that it needs a PAE kmod as well. Currently, yum may bring in the appropriate version, but it probably didn't when that was written. And, I, at least, see no harm in being specific.

There is one more thing regarding the dracut stuff --- aside from the
fact that it is completely unnecessary since kmod-nvidia will already
do it by itself, doing it like this:

mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname
-r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

literally means asking for trouble. The mv command is almost
instantaneous, while the dracut command will take a good several
minutes to complete. In that sense, during the period after you have
renamed a valid initramfs file to some name that grub will not know to
look for, and before dracut has completed the new file, you do not have
a bootable machine, since there is no initramfs file for grub to
fallback on if something goes wrong.

You can always use the Grub menu to boot into an earlier kernel, remove the newer kernel and reinstall it to rebuild initramfs. Or, even easier, edit the line in the kernel's stanza at boot time to look for the old image. Personally, I'm of the opinion that you're looking for problems that don't exist, but I see no reason to argue with you. You do it whatever way you want and I'll do it as those instructions tell me to because I know that they work.

Of course, I'm probably not the best person to ask about how much risk is too much in something like this. Most people don't consider cleaning up after a hung upgrade to be a minor, unpleasant and tedious chore, rather than a major disaster. And, to be fair, most people don't have the time to dedicate to it because unlike me, they're not retired and have day jobs taking up most of their time.