Re: Mouse button debouncing

hello doug,

On 08/19/2013 08:56 PM, Doug wrote:
<>

A few thoughts:  One of the designers at my place of employment used a
thumb ball from Logitech, and swore by it, but one time I attempted to
modify a small part of a drawing using that thumb-ball, and it drove
me crazy!

i would say that that is one of the reasons that mouse movement should
always be in a feature in a readily accessible configuration, so one
can change parameters as needed.

it would be great if there were 2 selectable settings, fast/slow. even
better, if there where 3 or 4 preset setups, fast, slow, between.

when i am using mouse for reading, writing, web browsing, i like fast
acceleration and threshold. for cad/eda, i like slow acceleration and
threshold.

such could very easily be selected by pressing middle button and left
button simultaneously for stepping up. pressing middle button and right
button simultaneously for stepping down. or, pressing middle button and
left/right button would present a menu at current pointer position to
select a preset config and a choice for a config window.

i had considered doing such, but i am an al programmer and i admit to
being 'weak' with c/c++, so i never took it further than just thinking
about it.

with linux being primarily c/c++, if i ever find time, i may give it a go.

tho it would be better if you are, or a reader who is, heavy into c/c++
would work up routine needed, it would be a truly needed winner.
[hint, hint, hint]

<>
> Then I discovered Kensington. Their Orbit Optical trackball sells for
> the same price as the Logitech unit on the right in the illustration
> at the website above. I haven't used the Logitech, but I have 3 of
> the Kensingtons--

i tried a kensington trackball when they first came out, but for some
reason or other, i preferred the logitech and i have had this thumb ball
from within a year of when they were first released.

<>
> BTW, I don't consider the Logitech unit a palm ball--it's a fingertip
> ball, like the Kensington.

this is true. i guess i was too tired to realize what i had written.

i had a very close friend who was so enthused with my thumb ball, when
he left from visit, he went to a local best buy to get one. his biggest
interest was because, like me, he liked idea of not having to keep an
area of his desk, in his words, "cleared for a stinking mouse".

best buy was out of the thumb ball, so sales person showed him the finger
ball. he bought it because he had big hands and fingers so it was easier
for him to use.

a few years later, he died in a motor cycle accident. his son took over
the business and after his first year, he wanted to upgrade system, so
instead of my building up a new box, he bought a dell system. he watch
too many tv commercials. i had warned him about dell and their support,
but he did not listen because bank and most of the businesses he serviced
hvac's for used dell. so he was sold on them.

when i helped the son install their business software on their new dell and
we finished, he asked what i owed him. i asked what he wanted for old system.
his reply was i could have it because they would write it off. i told him ok,
he owed me nothing.

i added another hdd, upped memory and used it for my 'play station' and set
up my old system up as file and network server. because of logging in server
thru network, i had no need for finger mouse, so i gave it to another friend
for his daughter. she flipped over it and still thanks me for it every time
i visit them.

But if you're into thumb-balls,

having started with a thumb ball, i have formed an 'addiction' for it. ;=)
as such, i have learned to use it as a finger ball. to be more accurate,
a thumb and first finger. it allows me to have a finer control over
pointer movement.

> it looks to me like the wireless unit pictured on the left is a thumb-ball.

this is true.

One other thing: I suspect that like the Kensington, the Logitech ball
is not captured, and will fall out if you upset the base.

this is also true. original has a retaining ring with a recessed hole
so it can be rotated for removal to remove the ball for cleaning. there
where complaints about this, so, i believe, to also cut manufacturing cost,
and make cleaning easier. and they _do_ need cleaning of motion detecting
window and ball contact points. i am sure kensington is same way. when
you consider all the advantages of a marble, a little cleaning is no big
issue. at least not as i see it.

Here's the Kensington link:

after watching the dumb video, i recall why i prefer the logitech. you can
rest your hand on the logitech. not so with the kengsington.

returning from kengsington site and noticing scroll bar gray area, i believe
i need to bring this 'book' to a close. (bwg)

later.

--

peace out.

sl6.3 linux