Re: copying video dvds

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 22:34:52 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 07 August 2013, Marko Vojinovic sent:
> > you can also use mplayer to copy the video to your HD. Something
> > like this:
> >
> >    mplayer dvd:// -dumpstream -dumpfile my/video/file.avi
>
> Won't that do everything on the disc?  Don't you need a number 1 after
> that, to play just the main title?  (Can't try that, myself, at the
> moment.  I've done individual tracks before, never tried omitting the
> title number.)

If you omit the track number, mplayer will play the "default" track,
which is usually track 1. However, I've seen dvds which change this
default --- apparently in the dvd's table of contents it might be
indicated what is considered to be the "default tracks to play", and
mplayer will play that, if found. It does not necessarily mean
"everything on the whole disc".

Of course, you may specify the track number(s) explicitly, if and when
you know which one you want to play. :-)

> Might be worth pointing out that although you've called your sample
> file a file.avi, above, it's not an AVI file format.  Since you're
> creating a MPEG filedump, you may as well use a mpeg, mpg, or vob
> file suffix, just so that your filename gives you an instant clue
> about what it is, or for automating what program will play it when
> you double-click on it.  Some media players are better at one thing
> than another, and you might want to set different default programs to
> open particular file formats.

Yes, you're right. :-) I got used to the fact that Linux doesn't care
about file extensions, so I use .avi just as a reminder for myself that
it is a file containing multimedia (i.e. audio and video). But someone
else might try to play the file in a non-Linux environment, and then a
file extension might be relevant.

The DVD video format is usually mpeg-2 for video and AAC for audio,
which are packed up into a mpeg-ps container format. According to
wikipedia [1], it has the following typical file extensions:

  .mpg, .mpeg, .m2p, .ps

So maybe a better filename would be file.mpeg or similar.

Best, :-)
Marko

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_program_stream