Re: copying video dvds

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 18:19:28 -0600
smcg4191@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I generally mount and then use "cp" to copy my video dvds to
> hard disk for convenience.  99% of the time this works fine
> and the resulting directory is playable by vlc, etc.
> However occasionally I'll get an "Input/output error" when
> copying a disc that vlc played fine and, unsurprisingly,
> there are problems when later trying to play the copy.
>
> I suspect that vlc makes use of error correction capabilities
> on the dvd, whereas "cp" doesn't.

There is also another possibility --- if the content is copyrighted,
the owners may opt to introduce deliberate errors in order to prevent
copying the contents of the disc. If that is the case, vlc will
attempt to read only the files it needs, and would not see the error,
while cp would try to copy everything, and get stuck.

> Is there some way or tool that will make a copy of the dvd
> using (or at last preserving in the copy so that vlc can use)
> the error correction stuff on the dvd so that the copy is
> playable even when there are some errors?

Others have suggested dd and variants, to make an identical copy of the
data on the disc. However, if your aim is to get a copy of the video
content of the disc, you can also use mplayer to copy the video to your
HD. Something like this:

   mplayer dvd:// -dumpstream -dumpfile my/video/file.avi

This will "dump" the actual movie into a file, rather than onto the
screen (and speakers). You can be more selective by using dvd://2,4-6 to
play only the tracks you are interested in, or use -dumpvideo or
-dumpaudio instead of -dumpstream to separately copy video only or
audio only. You may want to get familiar with "man mplayer". Just don't
get too scared by the amount of options in the manual. :-)

The quality of the dump is of course equal to the original, since it's
just copying, not transcoding. The resulting file size will be the size
of the video data on the dvd disc itself (most, but not equal to the
size of the dvd disc). The dumped file can be played by any video
player (vlc, mplayer, ...) that supports MPEG, by pointing it to the
file.

In general, as far as mplayer usage goes --- if you can see the video
on the screen by playing it in mplayer, then you can also dump it in a
file instead, to make a copy. And generically mplayer will play
everything you throw at it, including copyrighted dvds with deliberate
errors etc... ;-)

Oh, and you may also want to install the libdvdcss package from
the old Livna repository (http://rpm.livna.org/), in order to get
around the CSS enryption (Content Scramble System) for some
copyrighted dvds...

HTH, :-)
Marko