Re: a different point of view to "etiquette"

On 2013/07/30 02:44, Andrew Haley wrote:
On 07/16/2013 06:10 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
Reindl Harald wrote:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.stable/58049/focus%3D1525074

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> linux-foundation.org>

Linus is in a very special category, and I don't think his justifications
can be applied to virtually any one else.  Especially, not *here*.

People put up with his behaviour because of his other talents, but in
the long run that's not sustainable. One of the problems with this is
that younger and more naive people think the way Linus communicates on
the lists is a model to imitate. It's not.

See here:

Andrew, one thing a woman needs to develop to survive in the technical
fields is an incredibly thick skin. As a teenager I had the lack of grace,
or something, to be rather attracted to math and electronics. As a 9th
grader (over 50 years ago) I got ham radio ticket and proceeded to do the
atypical - I hacked my own equipment. Nothing I owned was in "OEM" state.
I made it through college where I developed a bit of a tough skin. (Um,
much of the toughness needed was to survive the female "MCPs". It has
left me somewhat of a loner.) And I got into industry designing radios.
Now, that field is fully as male dominated as is the computer industry
today. I lived with people discounting me because I am some bizarre sort
of curiosity that needed to be reminded to bring the people at meetings
coffee - when I was one of the senior engineers in attendance. We generally
had more black engineers in the departments than women engineers. It took
a sincerely thick skin to survive the men and the secretaries who figured
I was not in my right station in life.

All I can say to a young woman wanting to get into this more than life
itself is to learn to let insults flow off your back and simply do the
work. (And absolutely DO cherish the moments when it comes time to
explain a tough point to the people in the meeting who've never met you
before as you watch their preconceptions giving them sincere mental pain.)

{^_-}   Joanne - - It's fun to feed them enough rope so they can hang
        themselves, the poor dears. {^v^}