Re: The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Hi,

> So the "unformatted" one is pretty obvious which explains my first
> failure... but then I tried reducing the image using the 24756879360
> (24.8GB) size, which still failed. Should I assume then that failure
> was because growisofs reserved more spare space in its formatting
> than I allowed for by my image size?

growisofs formats blank BD-R to the default size, which is listed with
format code 00h, unless you use option
  -use-the-force-luke=spare:none
which will leave the BD-R unformatted and write with full nominal speed
and without checkreading.

If you cannot get the GUI frontend to using this option, then you
may format the BD-R by dvd+rw-format to the smallest possible size.
(A bold try with -ssa=16m or -ssa=128m should not kill drive or media
 but rather succeed, or fail and leave the BD-R blank. -ssa=256m
 should work in any case.)
This also avoids the little bug at the end of a growisofs BD-R run.

> in reading about xorriso it's really
> just for ISO formats correct?

Currently no UDF, at least. (Bootability leads quite far off ISO,
but not nearer to UDF.)
DVD and BD video would be a new endeavor to me.

> But in the case of simply formatting
> the media, we haven't affected the format choice, right?

We have to distinguish media level formatting and filesystem format.
In the case of DVD and BD video, the medium formatting is not
decisive, except that some media just cannot be written unformatted.

DVD and BD format compatibility is clearly only about the filesystem,
because there is only one readable sector size with these media.
(On CD there is half a dozen sector layouts. From 2352 bytes audio
to 2048 bytes data.)

> # xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -list_formats
> libburn : SORRY : Cannot open busy device '/dev/sr0' : Device or resource busy

Some program holds the device file open with flag O_EXCL, which
has a special meaning on Linux device files. It indicates that
a drive is mounted and shall not be written directly.
We burn programmers joined that club. For us it means that it
shall not be touched at all. (Touching a CD burn can spoil it.)

What do you get from
  mount | fgrep /dev/sr0
  lsof | fgrep /dev/sr0

> udftools will create an image up to 2.01,

Hasn't udftools been superseded by kernel UDF ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas