Re: [GW-C] [ECOTONE] Re: rant of the day: installing fedora

Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 14 July 2013 00:51, lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> On 12 July 2013 21:45, lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Are you referring to the option the installer gives you to do your
>> own/custom partitioning?  If so, you can do that, but you do not know
>> where on the disks the partitions are being put --- or is there way to
>> see and to decide that?
>>

> Okay, I didn't quite realise what you wanted. If you're talking about
> block-level control of the partition creation you can't do that
> (though it's probably a bit redundant these days).

It is required as an option.  It doesn't necessarily have to be built
into the installer.  The installer could offer you to start cfdisk or
parted and make it easy to then use the partitions you created.  There's
no need to re-invent the wheel for creating partitions.

> On the other hand I think they should be created in the order they're
> displayed on the partitioning screen, so that should just be a case of
> adding them in the order you want.

That won't work unless you want the installer to move existing
partitions.  And it won't allow you to decide onto which disk they will
be put.

What if you have your partitions created in such a way that, in some
cases, the last partition on disk N would have to continue on disk N+1
to provide you with partitions in the order and in the sizes you
specified?

Forcing users to indiscriminately select disks before starting to
partition them is not a good way to begin with.  The installer is
obfuscating the partitioning and confusing about it.  It comes nowhere
even close to the simple clarity a tool like cfdisk or parted has.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)