Re: Fedora vs RHEL

On 4/12/2013 3:49 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 12.04.2013 12:37, schrieb Mike Dwiggins:
That is a justified concern however in our case we finally have seen him get fed up with the Wndoze environment and
the cost it causes.  We have him ready to try a solution that can run everything we need on our two new sever grade
machines and avoid the physical update cycle on the other five!

We are a small to medium Network Engineering shop so I really have no problem with "Dumb" users except for the
clerks in Admin and Finance.

It is fully our intent that once we get him hooked on Linux to move over to RHEL!
I have no problem with the late shift (no clerks) doing the update cycle!
a few minutes ago you said you will seel your boss Fedora 16
you said you still run Fedora 16 connected to the internet

so i do not buy the "have no problem with doing the update cycle"

to make it clear, if i would be your boss and you try to sell me
Fedora 16 i would fire you for two possible reasons reasons to
prevent future damage to the company

* you try to sell me a EOL system by knowing and ignoring this
* you do not know that it is EOL what shows that you are not qualified
At this I can only say that you don't know my Boss!  He moved into this field from a related field (Telcomm) and knows just enough to be dangerous!

To him EOL would be a selling point because it would eliminate changes!  Yes I am dealing with that kind of knowledge base!

As I have said in other posts the intent is to eventually wind-up on RHEL.  I have held my Home servers on F14 just for the reason of no changes although if the test F18 goes about one more week I will upgrade to F18 as the first release since F14 that my environment has not had some problem with!

Thanks
Mike D.