Re: Fedora vs RHEL

Agreed, The plan is to start him on F17, unless of course I can convince him to go with F18!  My home machines are still on F14 but, I have a test server running F18 and it so far looks solid!  As a point of fact I sent this e-mail off of it!

What are the specific reasons he will not go with a RHEL based system (whether CentOS or SciLi)?

There are correct reasons to use Fedora but they are few and far between in a business setting - my montoring TV runs Fedora, the developer workstations run Fedora (only 3 that I care about) ... all other systems run CentOS linked to puppet and spacewalk (config management and package management/auditing respectively).

If he won't go with CentOS/RHEL for a specific valid reason then in all probability Fedora is the wrong answer as it would probably be similarly covered....

If you plan to get RHEL in the future then CentOS (or similar) is definitely a better choice to ease the migration.

A bit more detail would be useful - you strike me as a kid (I feel old now....) fresh out of college/university/highschool excited in his first/second job with the first chance to use Linux at work... it's a great time and I remember it well but what you do at home bares little reflection from a business sense.

At home I have an HP N40L microserver with F18 and BTRFS which I'm very happy with for CIFS, transmission, streaming, etc ... however I would not use the same setup at my workplace in any shape or form.

Have a look at the specific requirements you are trying to meet and the specific objections to RHEL/CentOS ...

The approach you are taking right now based in the available information and a wealth of experience is flat out wrong.... slow down and re-evaluate what you are planning or provide more info here.

I would strongly suggest laying out your goals on the centos-discuss mailing list if you are unsure how to best present them or how/if CentOS (or a similar distro) can meet your needs.