Re: Samsung laser drivers for Linux - thinking aloud

On 02/14/2013 06:28 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
I have an old system around with F16, which I didnt bother to update
to F17 or F18 because I seldom use it (old specs, ancient cpu, low ram
,120GB IDE HD, etc) but XFCE boots and can be used when everything
else fails.

I decided to plug a Samsung 2165W laser to it through its usb port.

The 2165W like many other cheap Samsung lasers are closer to
´winprinters´ because, althought not GDI printers, those use the
proprietary Samsung SPL page description language, implemented in
Samsung´s windows drivers, -but also as Linux binaries, more on that
later-. In other words, these printers don´t enjoy the flexibility of
PCL/PCL5 or PostScript printers that are almost ´universal´ and work
out of the box with little fiddling around.

F16 XFCE showed a nice ´detecting new printer´ dialog on the top-right
side of the screen only to conclude 30 seconds later with ´drivers not
found´ or a message like that, with a ´search for drivers´ button
below.

1. I pressed ´search for drivers´ and the dialog went away, networking
leds flickered a bit, then nothing. (??)
I decided I had to try again, unplugged and replugged the device,
althought this time, after the flickering stopped, it said once again,
that no drivers were found, so I choose the option to ´manually point
towards driver´ or words to that effect. A file selection dialog asks
you to point to a .psd file.

2. Luckily, I had downloaded the Samsung drivers and unpacked those to
the hard drive by then, so I pointed it towards
./drivercd/linux/noarch/bin/(something else, I didn´t keep notes) and
there was a long list of .psd files, one for each samsung printer
model #.  I selected 2160 because I know 2160 and 2165 are the same
model# family. Cups did its magic and lo and behold I had a printer
object with the right cups driver.

3. When I tried to print, obviously, it failed (you saw that coming),
the problem ´rasterizer not found´ or words to that effect. It was
complaining about a missing package dubbed ´raster2samsungspl´ engine.

Obviously Samsung´s idea is for one to run the ´install script´ as
root. Apparently it copies binary files around (and libs, like
libstdc++) to fixed destination paths and hopes for the best.

My idea, on the other hand, was that cups should be (by now)
intelligent enought to search for some sort of ´driver description
file´ and install the driver from the cups side, not from a
manufacturer-provided ugly bash script.

I was wrong. apparently the only way to make it work is by running
Samsung´s install bash script.

So the $1M question is: can´t Samsung design drivers which can be
installed via a package manager (rpm), or via a cups install routine,
instead of the current method?. I´m sure they can, in theory.

Which is the right venue to complain about this? (other than Samsung,
which I´m sure couldn´t care less about us Linux users).
There was an ´openprinting´ effort... or perhaps the FSF? or the cups project?.

One would think that by 2013 distros would have gotten around to
design a foolproof way for hardware manufacturers to properly package
drivers (even proprietary blobs) which would then be installed
semi-automagically by the Linux printing subsystem, no?.

Anything wrong with my analysis?. Yeah, I know "just run the darn
manufacturer-provided bash install script and be grateful it at least
works". Yes, that´d be the easy way. I don´t think it´s the right way
going forward....

No, I´m not asking for directions on how to get my printer working.
No, please don´t tell me to update to F17 or F18. No, please don´t
start a flamewar. My point is about the packaging of Samsung´s drivers
and the install method they have chosen. "doesn´t it suck? what -if
anything- can we do to get it improved?".

FC

Samsung was among the first to support Linux. We all, those of us on this list, love Linux but even we would not use it if there was no hardware that supported it. It used to be that almost no hardware worked with Linux. Basic stuff like video drivers, printer drivers, even basic IO interface cards, ...

If Samsung wants to build bash scripts to install their proprietary drivers I say more power to them. If you want to repackage their stuff in an RPM then I say more power to you. That's the great thing about Linux. You have the choice, unlike that other personal computer operating system we have all come to love so much. NOT!

--
    _
   °v°