Re: Samsung laser drivers for Linux - thinking aloud

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
>> So the $1M question is: can´t Samsung design drivers which can be
>> installed via a package manager (rpm), or via a cups install routine,
>> instead of the current method?. I´m sure they can, in theory.
>
> I agree completely.
> I have a number of Samsung devices (printer, Android, TV)
> and while the hardware in all cases is of the highest quality,
> the software is always bizarre in some way,
> seemingly produced by someone whose thought processes
> run along different lines to my own.
> Eg my clp-325W printer is supposed to be WiFi-enabled,
> but for some reason you have to put in a password to use this,
> and I have never succeeded in doing this.
> Apparently one has to press several buttons simultaneously
> to change the password, but the instructions are obviously
> for some other printer, since the buttons described
> do not exist on this printer.
> Many other people have encountered the same problem,
> but Samsung's response to queries is to consult the supplier,
> who in my case at least does not have the slightest idea what to do ...
>
> Timothy Murphy

I have a Samsung 2010 which is now 2-3 years old and i thought all
modern lasers with usb connection installed priner drivers with the
ppd. I haven't tried my printer on Fedora as i still have Xubuntu on
my main pc - but on xubuntu it seems to find the printer 'plug &play'.

I recently found that my Epson LX300 had a new cups driver and i had
been using a ppd from another Epson printer on a best fit basis. Most
printers one can get to work but one needs to hunt around. I have a
Dell inkjet which is a rebranded Lexmark and once one knows that not a
problem.

I wouldn't mind betting that yours could well work on my 2010's ppd.
Samsung are very good for linux, unix and mac operating systems.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Samsung/ML-2165W%2FXAA/Manual/239134?page=156

Have you seen this? 24 jan 2013 - so very recent.
http://en.novobaixar.com/drivers/samsung-ml-2165w-printer-driver-4-00-35-for-linux.shtml

Forgive me if i'm wrong... but i can't help feeling there's a driver
somewhere. I've got a usb stick that i can't get a linux driver for...
but i've now learnt how to write one. There's a driver for your
printer somewhere.

james