Re: Fedora 18 - Disastrous experience

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I upgraded one laptop - a Thinkpad T60 - to F-18,
and have had 4 problems, each of which I would consider fatal.

I have another Thinkpad - a T61 - still running F-17,
which I use for comparison.

1. Sleep problem.
When re-awaking from Sleep, whether that was started
from the f-menu or by closing the lid,
about 60% of the time the screen starts flashing on and off
each couple of seconds, and the machine has to be stopped
by pressing the power button, and re-started.

A boot time, enter the edit mode for the kernel you boot, and see if "nomodeset" is on the kernel command line. If so, try removing it (just for one boot) and see if that helps. Do you have a video hardware which needs a non-Fedora driver to operate reliably, say Radeon or nvidia? Did you fc17 have a driver, or kmod module to install one? Do you have that installed now?

2. KMail
Possibly due to the above problem, the akonadi database became corrupted,
preventing KMail from starting.
After failing to mend the database, I deleted ~/.local/share/akonadi/* .
This allows KMail to re-start, but after several hours
the database has only been 1/4 filled, and seems to have stopped filling.
I can read my email from an IMAP server on the T61, so no mail was lost.

No idea, don't use that software.

3. NM
This is behaving in an incomprehensible way,
with WiFi getting slower and slower after re-starting NM.
Here is an example pinging my home server on each laptop.

What I said about drivers, did you have a 3rd party driver in fc17? However, I usually see this when wifi doesn't work at all, not when it gets odd. I have seen this problem with fc16, so it's not new, I have no fix for it.
[...snip...]

--------------------------------

The laptops were in exactly the same location.
In each case the other laptop was switched off.

4. OpenVPN has ceased to work, although correct certs are in place.
I haven't examined the reason for this, as the other problems
are already fatal.

Incidentally, I installed F-18 from the KDE Live ISO,
transferred to a USB stick, and keeping the /home partition from F-17.

Did you run restorecon? I've seen many problems with Linux in general, with both vpn and nfs mounts, when you hibernate information is not saved to restore them. I have never seen this work, so can't say it's a new issue.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>