Re: Getting to F18

On 12/16/2012 02:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
98% of all attacks and spam out there are from machines where
the owner said "oh i do not need more security and do not care"

90 % of this are home-machines beeing part of a botnet and the
rest vservers of users missing any admin skill but think to
need a root-server

...and over 99% of those machines are running Windows. I didn't say that I don't take precautions; I do. My router is set to send requests on certain ports to specific machines and drop everything else without reply. Those machines only accept connections on those ports with proper authentication. All of my machines have their firewalls active and SELinux enabled. And, with very rare exceptions, all of the software they run come from the standard repositories for their distro. (I use only Fedora, but my sister uses Ubuntu.)

In the unlikely event that one of these boxes was running a spam server, I'd soon find out because the DSL modem is visible from where I'm sitting and the constant activity would be easy to spot. Tracking it to the right machine would be a simple process of elimination, although cleaning it might be harder. What I have is enough for a home LAN with only two users, each of whom has two machines that might be active. It's not enough for a production environment, and I know that. That's why I asked about your precautions: to learn something about what else I'd need to do in the unlikely event I found myself in charge of some business's computers.