Re: Anyone doing UPNP on Fedora ? (Partially solved)

On 11/02/2012 04:23 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
I'll take another stab at getting it going later tonight.

If you find something interesting, please post here!

The problem was SELinux. I totally disabled it on the server and now everything works.

nano /etc/selinux/config, change  SELINUX=enforcing to SELINUX=disabled

To reiterate, here is what I have

- an F17 server set up to serve media files running minidlna, which is a UPnP server.

- an Andrdoid tablet running Bubble UPnP, which is both a client for a UPnP server and/or a client to a UPnP renderer and/or a renderer itself.

- an F17 box set up as an XBMC device. I enabled XBMC to be controllable by external devices (Settings->Network) and thus it is a UPnP renderer.

Right now I can

- play media files from the server on the tablet. This is UPnP server -> UPnP renderer.

- stream media files from the server to the tablet and send them to the XBMC device. This is UPnP server-> UPnP Client | UPnP client -> UPnP renderer.

- play media files from the server on the XBMC device.

Everything works with the exception that I have the firewalls disabled on all my devices. UPnP didn't work on the clients with their firewalls enabled. All the PCs are, of course, behind the firewall in my router, so its not like they are directly exposed to the Internet.

Its great that everything works because now I have complete access to all my media STORED IN ONE CENTRAL LOCATION from just about any device in the house. No more having to different files on every machine and never having things in sync.

I have no idea why SELinux was messing things up on the server. The minidlna is running with root permissions. The media files have user permission for read/write and read permission for everything else.

I'll tackle the firewall issue when I get time in the near future and report back when I get it figured out.