Re: Anyone doing UPNP on Fedora ?

On 11/01/2012 07:58 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
I didn't give any details because your question is pretty vague :P
upnp can be used for serving media and for controlling various devices (firewall/NAT on your router, IP cam, etc)

I'd like to make a hard drive containing various media files available to various devices around my house.

The various devices include 2 Samsung TVs, an iPhone, an N900 phone, an Asus Infinity Android tablet, a couple Windows laptops and a few Linux laptops and PCs.

I'd like the files to be served from a Linux (Fedora 17) server.

Right now I am trying to share the media drive using uShare or XBMC. I get the same results with both.

On the Android tablet I can see the shared folders using the Bubble UPNP player, but they appear empty. On a Fedora laptop I can mount the server using djmount and can see the folders as well, but they appear empty as well. If I attempt to ls the folders, I get an "endpoint disconnected" error.

Upnp-Inspector displays the server as a valid UPNP server running both server packages.

I have the firewalls disabled on all devices, except the Android tablet.

Several forum posts indicate that one must add a route to the server's iptables to allow UPNP multicasting as follows.

route add -net 239.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 eth0

How do I add this to my system when using system-config-firewall and system-config-network with devices managed by NetworkManager ?

I'm mostly using Rygel to serve media to a bunch of devices that support it (XBMC, PS3, networked Samsung bluray player etc.) If that's similar to what you're trying to do, I can get you more specifics
Please do. I was going to try minidlna next, but it doesn't seem like the UPNP server software is the problem.

FYI, I am very disappointed to find that KDE as shipped in Fedora doesn't directly support UPNP sharing and that none of the popular Linux media players (VLC, Totem, Amarok, etc) have UPNP support built into them via plug ins from a Fedora repository. It takes much mucking around to add UPNP functionality to these applications.

Thanks