Re: Contact list for KDE user?

Lailah wrote:

>> I did look at other PIM applications;
>> but KAddressBook/Kontact (they seem to be the same in this context)
>> appeared to be the only ones that dealt with "contacts" in the usual
>> sense.
>>
>> I wasn't quite clear if you were suggesting thunderbird and evolution
>> as alternatives to KMail, or if they can be used to provide
>> contact lists for KMail?

> I was suggesting them as alternatives to Kmail.  As long they don't use
> Akonadi they can provide any data to Kontact.
> I didn't understand what do you mean with  "dealt with contacts in the
> usual sense".  Could you explain a little more?

I just meant a contact list which could be used by KMail.
(In my case I don't think it would be worth the trouble
to move to another mail client.)

But what I've been looking for for a long time is
a "universal" contact list containing email addresses and telephone numbers,
and which can be kept on server (or conceivably the cloud)
so that it can be accessed by both mail client and phone.

I guess google contacts comes pretty close to this;
and I see that Akonadi now seems to be able to access google mail,
and convert google contacts to a Kontact/KMail address book.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get this to work so far,
but I assume it must work since it has been added to Kontact.

I am currently using a OpenLDAP address book,
which works reasonably well, except that as far as I know
it can't be directly accessed by a phone.
But I could be wrong about that.
In any case, I don't find the LDAP protocol all that easy to use
with contacts, probably because I don't know much about LDAP.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net