Re: Openvpn: how to start at login?

On Sunday, 26. August 2012. 17.44.25 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > 4. cd /lib/systemd/system
> > 5. ln openvpn@.service openvpn@MyClient.service
>
> And I do think that this link should probably be made by default,
> since the instructions for setting up an openvpn client
> assume throughout that the config file is called client.conf .
>
> Perhaps with a note in the documentation about what to do
> if one is running more than one openvpn service.

Well, I could imagine that probably most of the people would call their config
file "client.conf",but if some user chooses to give it another name, he is back
to square one and has to do steps 4. and 5. anyway.

But feel free to file a RFE in the bugzilla for openvpn, maybe the devs will be
forthcoming.

By the way, I was actually nicely surprised by the fact that since F16 I can
run two independent openvpn clients. Before that I had one client, and a whole
bunch of permissions-tweaks, to separate the "work" from "home" stuff on the
same vpn. Now I just have two independent networks on two different interfaces
(tap0 and tap1), two openvpn config files (home.conf and work.conf), and I can
happily start/stop either of them (or both) on the same laptop, simply by
saying

  systemctl stop openvpn@work.service
  systemctl start openvpn@home.service

etc., regardless where on the planet I may be physically. Extremely neat,
comparing to what I had to do before.

So this feature can be actually quite useful, and the only drawback is that
setting up openvpn requires two extra steps 4. and 5. above (done only once,
of course). I understand that most people probably don't have a need for two
or more vpn's, but overall there is really some nonzero benefit from the "new
way" of setting up openvpn. Besides, people who are able to configure and run
an openvpn client (let alone server) are typically not noobs, and having to
create one link to a file as an extra configuration step will not kill them. ;-)

But I do understand your side of the story as well, I had to go through it
myself... :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko