Re: Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 07:31 -0500, Matthew J. Roth wrote:
> Ankur Sinha wrote:
> >
> > I just don't like random folks venting on mailing lists.
>
> What, exactly, is it that you're doing?

I asked them to:
1. Accept the current condition
2. Use one of the numerous solutions that have been out *since* gnome3
was released
3. Move to another DE
4. Fork the project. Mate is an example.

They've already gone ahead and done one of these. What is the use of
bringing the topic up on a fedora user channel? It changes nothing, even
the initial author of the email knew that. Everyone on the list even
knew that F18 has the change even, apparently. Why bring this up at all
then? This channel is to help people troubleshoot fedora, not to have
folks who have already solved their issues scream "why did I have the
issue in the first place?".

We are "downstream". We take what "upstream"s make and put them together
as a Linux distribution, contributing to upstreams in the process.

> > If you haven't learnt yet, venting does nothing. It doesn't bring
> > any changes. All it does is waste infra.
> >
> > From F18, you'll have your poweroff back.
>
> From where I'm sitting, that looks like venting *did something*.

Discussions on *this* list did *not* cause it. Gnome folks do *not*
monitor this list. This has been said again and again. The public outcry
that was over social networks, and discussions on the Gnome mailing
lists caused the change. This channel does not have visibility to the
gnome project.

> > What I'm suggesting is that you move to Windows/Mac if no DE in
> > Linux works for you. I'm sure you won't fork a DE to customize for
> > yourself if you can't install an extension or use alt. LOL.
>
> This is a far less constructive comment than suggesting that Gnome
> restore a basic feature to their desktop environment.  Please stop
> venting.  You are wasting infra.

This was a tongue in cheek response. We're allowed to have a sense of
humour. :)

> It's disappointing to see such combative, hypocritical, and
> unprofessional messages from a "fedoraproject.org" address.

So, let the initial rant proceed. That's OK. That's professional, non
combative, non hypocritical (even if the author already did what he had
to do and is using the same DE). It is also completely professional to
use phrases like "stupidity". It is also constructive, professional to
rant.

I understand. Thank you, Sir.

> If
> you're going to end a message with "LOL", you might want to consider
> using your personal account next time.

Why? Aren't fedora project contributors allowed to laugh?

Here's the thing. A lot of people worked very hard to make each Fedora
release for users. I did too. I packaged stuff, tested each release
candidate, filed bugs, so that users would have a better experience. So,
when people run around writing "power-off stupidity remains in Fedora
17", I'm not pleased. It's a tiny thing, known for ages, solved for
ages, and yet, you have the right to defame us publicly over it, and we
do not have the right to stop you.

> Regards,
>
> Matthew Roth
> InterMedia Marketing Solutions