Re: Need more info: UEFI Secure Boot in Fedora

> > Demanding your money back because the board doesn't work as
> > advertised cuts even more deeply into their profit margin.
>
> This might work with smaller retail suppliers and local shops but if
> the board was advertised as supporting secure boot then you may find
> that argument leaves you without much of a case particularly if a
> means to disable it was provided and documented.

It will work with big vendors too. If it is advertised as a PC with no
warning about not being PC compatible then it's both a return case (in
the UK "not fit for purpose" and an advertising standards authority
complaint for misadvertising the product as a PC).

The actual PC vendors are kind of caught in the middle as are the
retailers. I suspect neither of them particularly want to mislead people,
but they may do out of ignorance.

Getting them to update their websites and manuals where needed is a win
for everyone.

Much of it is about expectations - Google rather cleverly dodged the
issue by basically marketing the Chromebook/box as "not a PC", and also
by documenting clearly where the switch was.

> I've known vendors to blanket refuse to issue RMAs on the grounds that
> the customer should have known what they were purchasing (not in the
> secure boot case but relating to other hardware features that are
> problematic for some OSs).
>
> Much better to pester them with support calls. Long, tedious, "where
> is the 'any' key?" type support calls.

Indeed.

Also if Windows 8 crashes and burns (in the market not on boot) under the
pressure of things like cheap Android 4.0 tablets, it may well be that
the Android unlocking problem, and documenting which Android platforms
(x86 or ARM) are unlockable is going to be the more important thing for
Fedora. That may matter for price alone as the windows tax becoems the
dominant element of a computer cost.

Alan