Re: What is removing files from /tmp?

Dean S. Messing writes:

I'm running F15.  Files are mysteriously being removed from /tmp after a
number of days of not being touched.  I am familiar with
/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch and, in fact, modify it to inhibit removal of
files from /tmp.  In the past this has worked. Under F15 it has not.

Two or three weeks ago I deleted it from /etc/cron.daily but older files
_still_ get removed from /tmp. I've rebooted at least once.  I'm not
sure if it happens at bootup or while the system is running, but
something is still removing files from /tmp.

Does anyone know of another mechanism for this?

I would check for the low-hanging fruit. Exactly the nature of your modifications to tmpwatch. Without knowing its history, its possible that its options have changed, and your custom changes no longer do the same thing they do before. Double-check the manpage. Especially since, I see, /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch is %config(noreplace), so if tmpwatch's options have changed, and aren't backwards compatible, and updating the tmpwatch package won't clobber the existing file, as a result the options you have in there may no longer work.

Or, perhaps, gathering some more data would point to the likely culprit. If the files in your tmp get deleted after a consistent period of time, that would offer a clue.

But, sometimes, tilting at windmills is not very productive. /tmp's never meant to be used to archive anything. I wouldn't put anything in /tmp that I'll want to make sure it'll still be there, tomorrow, even if nothing supposed to get nuked from there for weeks. Might be easier to change one's habits.

I'd create a folder in my home, or in my Desktop directory, for stuff that I haven't yet decided where it needs to go, permanently.