Re: READ ME: When replying to users digest...

*n.b.* I originally sent this as a c.c. to the list but it doesn't seem
to have happened...

On 21/03/2012 21:47, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 21Mar2012 11:48, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: |
> Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> | > On 21Mar2012 00:49, suvayu ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> | > wrote: | | Well from my
> experience when I subscribed to this list as new user, I | |
> started with the digest (with gmail) intending to only passively
> read | | rather than respond. But when I felt I had responses to
> contribute, I | | switched from a digest to regular emails. | | > I
> find digests difficult to read. (RISKS aside, I guess). With | >
> regular email the threads are nicely grouped on my screen, the | >
> | > a digest I get ungrouped snapshots of everything. Like a
> newspaper, | > in fact:-( | | As someone who at present reads this
> list on digest (as you can | probably tell by my cut & paste job in
> attempt to make it more | legible), I use use digest-mode for
> several lists to control the | number of messages each day (I'm
> subscribed to about thirty mailing | lists out of necessity).
>
> Only 30? I have 1345 lines in my main mail filing ruleset (these
> are one line rules, too, on the whole, though some lists have more
> than one matching rule).
>
> I just file the lists into separate folders. With multiple lists
> per folder. For example this one ("unix") has 185 rules delivering
> to it.
>
> I think my point here is that with a decent threading mail reader
> it is far far easier to watch thread topics and see the whole
> discussion than it is to get daily snapshots in a digest; with a
> digest you have to scan the whole thing anyway, and there's no
> thread history. You need to play cut/paste games because your mail
> reader doesn't get to treat each message on its own - you need to
> do that tedious and entirely mechanical stuff yourself.
>
> | Digest mode is perfectly acceptable for use when searching for |
> relevant topics but a bore when replying. Mailing list software
> varies | in its capabilities on the response side of things so I
> always use cut | & paste.
>
> It is worth looking around for a decent mail program.
>
> I accept that digest mode is working for you, but a decent mail
> reader and a few filing rules will more than make up for the deluge
> you seem to expect from individual email.
>
> | Believe me, the version of the response I see on the digest | is
> far worse than someone who is subscribed for regular delivery
>
> I don't know what you're saying here.

Whilst I feel email is still a very important part of my workflow,
gone are the days (for me at least) of a database of a quarter of a
million emails with hundreds of mailboxes sorted by hundreds of
filters. It's not laziness on my part; after all it's easy to get
set-up & requires very little maintenance, just that with the extent
to which mailing lists are archived nowadays online, it's far more
expedient to search them looking for answers to questions.

Taking the Fedora list as a case in point, three months ago I
installed my first Fedora distro (14 i686 Gnome) & the first port of
call was to subscribe to the list to see how the community functioned
(very helpful & courteous I found it too) & all the relevant
information flowing about the distro itself. But I'm also running
Debian, Open Suse & OS X so all these lists are on digest as well for
efficiency sake.

The other lists are developer lists for projects I'm getting to know &
therefore take preference over other lists not by virtue of importance
but to maximise the time allotted (I've a full-time job too).

As for seeing my replies they look awful because, as I pointed out
earlier, I'd been cutting & pasting them rather than using the
attachments provided with each digest & they looked askew when
rendered back to another digest.

Cheers,

  Phil...

- --