Re: Fedora 16 instabilities

On 01/11/2012 12:44 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html summarizes it pretty well.

The post includes a huge list of things that systemd does that systemvinit and Upstart don't do. However, as all of those things got done during boot anyway, that just makes systemd a kitchen-sink program. Didn't Unix start out with a design philosophy of writing small programs that did one thing and did it well? Yes, I understand that that was forced by memory limits that no longer apply, but there are still good reasons to stick to it whenever possible: if nothing else, it makes the code much easier to debug. That doesn't mean, of course, that systemd isn't better, just that I don't personally find that a reason to prefer it. And, as the article looks like it was written by the project's developer, we have to take into account his quite understandable bias.

I found the old style of unit scripts to be a pain in the ass. I'm not
sure why people think it was so great.

It's not that it was so great, it's that the system was mature, it was close to bug free and those who needed to mess with it either knew what to do or could easily find out from multiple sources. Now, it's all new again, people have to relearn everything and there's only one place to go if you need hints, which means that anything the developers forgot to mention (and there's always something) isn't documented anywhere.

Having read what you've given me, I'm still not sure that it's better than the old system, but it doesn't really matter because, like it or not, it's what we're all stuck with. It's not like a DE, where you can always migrate to another one while sticking with Fedora. If you really, really don't like systemd, your only choice is to find a distro that doesn't use it. Me, I'm sticking with Fedora.