Re: Neal Becker Software Package..?

On 2012/01/07 16:40, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 01/07/2012 04:28 PM, jdow wrote:
I've not really run across a forum that isn't very "flat"
in structure that leads to people reading it all or at least scanning it
all.

Both fora have a number of specialized sub-boards. As I'm not interested in
issues related to servers, I don't look at that board at the Fedora Forum. I
rarely check out the Hardware board because my interests and skills are strictly
software. And, of course, I don't even need to glance at most of the threads to
know I'm not interested, something that's often less easy with email, especially
if your client automatically opens the next message when you delete the one
you're reading.

That is an annoying problem. At least the escape key puts it away.

For reading something like LKML I let a large batch come in, sort it by
subject, scan down the subjects sampling ones that look like interesting
problems (it's fun to watch such being solved), and sample. If I don't
like what I see I use the escape key and start wandering down the message
list from were I stopped. When I am all done I simply delete the whole
batch at once. Of course, on other lists I use other strategies all aimed
at maximizing my reward for minimum time penalty. I "meta-hack" the software
sometimes using interface features in ways the designers may not have
anticipated.

{^_^}