Re: dumb question [on scripting]

[inline]

On 1/4/2012 10:08 PM, g wrote:
'wiz kids' of today have no concept of what 'the good old days' where like.

That may be a blessing as quite a few of the good old day were really bad old days.

you had things easier than i because you worked 'mainframe' where you at
least had someone to ask. i had myself and an s100 box with dialup bbs
and an 'outside dialin' to access local college 'mainframe' to search it's
files and out thru arpanet to other colleges to search. slow, but it usually
got results.

but I bet you learned more about "how to survive with a computer" given the availability of "someone to ask" wasn't something you could count on.

if you look at 10th hit, 'Bash Guide for Beginners', 'Table of Contents',
you will see it is main for 5th hit. wherein 'Introduction 1.', 1st
paragraph gives a good description of what it is all about.

'Table of Contents' does show a good breakdown of sections and should
lend to quick finding of what you may need.

i have never really found anything "short" for what i wanted to know
about bash or anything else that i needed to find out more about, but
i can say that 'tdlp' has covered pretty much of what i was looking for.

I suspect (and hope) this material will keep me off the list for awhile (smile)

most all of my assembler work has been for controllers and c and c++ where
just too much bloat to do what i needed. plus, with al, i never had to
worry of stack or buffer over flow. ;)

My machine code was when there was nothing else and my assembler was in the early video games days where all you got was a 4K cartridge and most of the time was spent trying to pack a much larger program into that bloody cartridge. But assembler was good for me in that it taught me alot about being clever and where one needed to be really clever.

i look at it another way, 'why reinvent the wheel'. if you can make what
is already written work with scripts, use it, do not write it new. :)

With all due respect, this feels like you are throwing the classic cliche over the problem. My comment was much more about effort/gain ratio at an age where effort really has to be looked at whether it advances the main chance.

I think we ought to put this thread to bed, its beginning to drift OT

Thanks,
Paul