Re: [mosty OT] trollfilter software

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 09:41 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Thus my statement that POP3 is so 1990's.
>
> 1990s? Nonsense.
>
> From my point of view, the entire internet, including IMAP4 is so 1960s.
----
obviously I don't share that perspective at all. IMAP4rev1 is 2003 -
that's a fact regardless of what Ed stated.

Using cyrus-imapd, I get the following:

- server based filters that automatically directs incoming e-mail into
subfolders, trash, vacation notification, etc. the momment it is
received.

- auto-sieve filters that are created/attached to users when the account
is created.

- auto-create folders that create folders when the user account is
created.

- auto-subscriptions that automatically subscribe a user to the folders
that are automatically created when the user account is created.

- delayed expunge... permits a mail client to delete files/folders and
the client is satisfied almost immediately but the actual physical
expunging of e-mail takes place at a later time when server loads are
lighter.

- automatic nightly indexing of e-mails for rapid searching within the
text body of e-mails.

- idled... essentially a push notification to any currently connected
client that new mail has arrived rather than relying upon client
polling.

- automatic delete of e-mails within specific subfolders such as SPAMBOX
(7 days) and Deleted Items/Trash (30 days).

- shared INBOX and/or subfolders with user accessible ACL's.

- automatic quota assignment when the user account is created.

Now I can appreciate that someone using dovecot or uw-imap might not
have this kind of feature set available but when you add the
computer/device independence of IMAP, it's pretty clear that POP3 is
really not capable of offering anything near the utility of IMAP.

But I am a benevolent system administrator and I allow POP3 connections
(SSL of course) for users who want to off-load their e-mail.

Obviously I have strong feelings regarding the differences between POP3
& IMAP and started running my own IMAP server probably about the turn of
the century and really don't want to use POP3 for anything any more but
hey, that's me.
----

> > But POP3
> > enables relatively unsophisticated users to access e-mail in an
> > unsophisticated fashion and manage their e-mail in an unsophisticated
> > way and if that suits them, then by all means, they should use it...
> > heck, I'm driving a car from before and a motorcycle from just after the
> > turn of the century   ;-)
>
> Automatic or manual tranny/clutch? ;-)
----
car is automatic, motorcycle obviously is 5 speed/clutch.

Craig

believed to be clean.