Re: F16 - a good experience

On 12/30/2011 10:42 AM, Pete Travis wrote:
But! Have you looked at extensions.gnome.org <http://extensions.gnome.org>?

No. As I've said here several times, when I found out what Gnome 3 was going to be like I migrated to XFCE and have no desire to go back again. As such, I'm on the outside looking in when it comes to Gnome and only know what I read about it here. I'm not trying to put Gnome 3 down, or get other people to stop using it unless they really don't like it because that would be contrary to the freedom of choice that's supposed to be one of the most important things in Linux.

Yes, clever programmers wrote extensions to Gnome 2, and many people used them. On the other hand, most people didn't, and found that it worked for them just fine, out of the box. With Gnome 3, however, many of the functions that people had come to depend on (Such as having the panel at the bottom of the screen instead of the top to take a simple example.) have been removed from Gnome itself forcing large numbers of users to choose between third-party extensions (that may stop working at any time because of an update to Gnome) or completely relearning how to use their system and changing habits that are in many cases years old.

I don't mind changing to something newer, even if it means changing my work habits, if I can see a profit to it. If I didn't, I'd still be using punched cards and a typewriter with fan-fold paper, as I did when I first used a computer. But, I'm not the type to change things simply for the sake of change. I don't say, as some do, "It's new, so it must be better," any more than I say, "It's old and I'm used to it and I'm going to keep things like that forever." I'm willing to change, but I need to see a benefit from it and, for me at least, the changes needed to use Gnome 3 just aren't there.

Sorry for going off so far like this, but once I got started, I realized that there was a good amount that needed to be said to make my position clear. I haven't done any programming in well over a decade, and I'm retired now anyway, but I do tend to spend a fair amount of time thinking about things like this and every now and then I feel the need to share my conclusions with others.

If you're one of those who's happy with Gnome 3, I'm glad for you; if not, ask yourself it it's worth the time and effort you'd need to get it working the way you want. If so, have at it; if not, consider migrating to a different DE. In either case, I hope you all have a Happy New Year.