Re: Fedora - time to blink

On Saturday 26 November 2011 13:02:03 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Are you kidding? You'd have thought Fedora was eating
> > people's babies - without salt - the way this list blew up when
> > KDE4 came out in Fedora.
>
> +1
>
> Some folks saw this coming!  Turns out that now other desktops are following
> suit to TabletLand, even windows 8 :(  The traditional desktop is
> apparently dying :(  We ***guninea pigs*** got to test that out(kde 4
> series in Fedora 9), gnome 3 series as well :)  It has sharp edges, but it
> will get there.  The Mint Folks have nice looking themes that maybe can be
> brought into Fedora for nice incorporation for those users that liked Gnome
> 2.X  :)

Oh, I was there in the time of KDE4.0 bashing, and I warned the vocal Gnome-
advocates that Gnome is going for a similar "redesign" sometime in the future.
Back then I was reassured over and over that Gnome devs are not that stupid,
and that they will not make such obvious mistakes of KDE4.

Today, as a happy user of the extremely functional and slick KDE 4.7.3, I just
can't stop laughing whenever I see a Yet Another Gnome3-Bashing Thread on this
list (and elsewhere on the Internet).

It is completely true that the Gnome devs have not repeated the KDE4 mistakes
--- they have rather invented a whole new class of completely original
mistakes, and hang on to them even through the Gnome 3.2 release... ;-)

KDE4.0 was released very early and it was underdeveloped at the time, which
was considered stupid by a lot of users. But there were no mistakes in
*design*, it just lacked configurability and features. This of course improved
over time, and today it is arguably better than KDE3.5 has ever been.

In contrast, Gnome3 introduced some stuff (that most people here dislike) as a
*design* *decision*, and they have no intention of changing it --- which is
not something that is going to change so easily over time. I really wonder if
anyone will ever persuade the Gnome3 devs to put back the Shutdown button
where it belongs. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko