Re: Thanks to Fedora community; Installation & Disk Partitioning ISSUE

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 09:42 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> I have a system with Windows dual boot, and I want to be able to
> hibernate Linux, boot into Windows, and then resume Linux from
> hibernation. With recent versions of Fedora, this is not possible from
> the standard grub configuration, because hibernating does something to
> the master boot loader block that causes it to boot immediately into
> the same Linux kernel that was hibernated, rather than presenting the
> usual boot menu. I do not have the option of booting Windows instead.
> This is done to prevent someone from accidentally booting the wrong
> kernel, thus clobbering their hibernation info. That is rather like
> shutting down the computer by pulling the plug out of the wall, which
> can obviously have bad consequences.
>
> Unfortunately, this safeguard does get in the way of my desire to
> hibernate Linux and boot into Windows. So I get around this by booting
> from /home. The master boot block contains pointers to the /home boot
> configuration that has nothing in it but chainloaders. Then grub
> inside Fedora is installed only on the Fedora root partition. This
> only requires that the contents of /boot/grub be copied
> to /home/boot/grub,  /home/boot/grub/grub.conf be edited
> appropriately, and that grub be installed on the master boot sector
> with root pointed at the /home partition.

As you say, you only need to chainload through an extra location to be
able to get around the "computer always resumes without giving me a
choice" problem.  You could chainload to home, or to any other
partition.  Using home would seem an odd choice.

Personally, I'd be inclined to keep *a* /boot partition as my first
loader, and have it just the basic choose what to boot, and it would
chainload whatever else you wanted (as you're doing).  And that second
chainload would be the roots for you other OSs, rather than home
userspace.  And, in the case of Linux, I'd be tempted to have a boot
*directory* for that Linux's root, rather than use the first boot
partition for it, or rather than having multiple boot partitions.
Certainly, if you were doing multiple boots (i.e. more than one Windows
and one Linux).

Though, I've done the multiple boot partitions approach when I've had
multiple drives in a system.  One drive per OS, all the normal
partitions for that OS on that drive.  The only exception being a
separate boot on the first drive to begin all the chainloading.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.