Re: "wireless disabled in software"

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 23:09 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >> I have found many times that I am not connected to the internet on my
> >> laptop BECAUSE NM has deleted the entries in /etc/resolv.conf ,
> >> and that when I install the proper entries
> >> (I keep them in /etc/resolv.conf.opendns for this purpose)
> >> I am immediately connected.
> >> (I do not need to enter my IP address manually.)
> > ----
> > If NM deletes the contents of /etc/resolv.conf WHILE you have a network
> > device that is functional, that would be a bug and you should report it.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by functional.
> Eg last night I was on my laptop in my bed-room,
> which may be near the limiting distance from my WiFi router.
> I guess the laptop lost connection,
> and when it came back I found resolv.conf had been gutted.
> So the device was not functional (briefly)
> in the sense that it had lost the connection.
----
at the point you lost connection, NM dutifully released the
configuration info obtained from the connection and thus removed the
contents in /etc/resolv.conf that it put there. Some might call that
being a good housekeeper. After the device re-established a connection
(satisfied authentication requirements & obtained an IP address from
DHCP server) /etc/resolv.conf should automatically be repopulated. Seems
to me that you sometimes are confused by a lack of understanding how the
process occurs and start flailing about for an answer.
----

> >> I recently had the experience that NM deleted the HWADDR address
> >> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 .
> >> Why?
> > ----
> > HWADDR might have changed - that's not really a problem anyway.
>
> Can the HWADDR of a device change in the real world?
> I imagine it might in the virtual world,
> but I'm not into that sort of thing.
>
> When you say it isn't really a problem,
> does dhcpd have another way of recognising the device?
> I see NM (maybe dhclient?) has taken to writing a UUID in ifcfg-* ,
> I'm not sure why as I don't think my dhcpd server
> knows anything about it.
>
> In my case, I put the HWADDR back,
> and probably had to restore resolv.conf,
> and the connection came back,
> but I don't know which change was responsible.
----
I actually wouldn't think that either of those actions had a single
thing to do with whether your 'connection' came back. It's possible that
the HWADDR could but ifcfg-XXXX should function fine with or without a
HWADDR and if the HWADDR is wrong, it won't function properly.
----
> All I know is that if NM stops working there are about 6 things I can do -
> look at resolv.conf, look at /var/log/messages, look at ifcfg-wlan0,
> look at lsmod, google "Fedora NM <card> <driver>",
> google <last NM message in /var/log/messages>.
> One of these usually gives a hint.
----
I gather that NM never actually stops working but rather you have a
configured interface that doesn't do what you expect it to do.
----
> I'm not sure what you mean by "instigate a connection".
> If I right-click on the slightly odd NM icon (like the sound icon
> rotated 90%) then I can go to Network Management Settings
> (where I also get to less directly if I left click on the icon).
> Very occasionally - maybe one time in twenty -
> I actually see a label "Connect" which I can click.
> But usually there is no action I can take
> apart from editing the data which in fact is never necessary.
----
icon is supposed to represent the pretty much standard image of
'wireless'

right click on this icon to get a list of options. One of them is likely
to offer to scan for available wireless networks. It also might list
available wireless networks and thus would allow you to choose to
connect to an available wireless network that you hadn't previously
indicated to connect to 'automatically'  This isn't rocket science and
is similar to actions required to use wireless networking on a Macintosh
or Windows system.
----

> The only action I've found likely to work at this point is re-booting.
----
I suspect that you resort to rebooting because you have never checked
your options by right clicking the wireless icon in the system panel. If
it works for you... great.
----
> I wouldn't mind in the slightest if NM gave me a choice of APs,
> and asked me to click the one I want.
> But it doesn't tell me anything,
> even though "iwlist scan" tells me there is an AP staring in its face.
----
see my explanation above - the GUI way to run 'iwlist scan'
----
> Incidentally, system-config-network seems to have become completely useless.
> It comes up with a blue screen, with 2 apparent options in the middle:
> Device configuration, and DNS configuration.
> The first only lists em1, my ethernet controller, which I am not using.
> And as far as I can see, there is no change I could make
> even if I wanted to.
>
> And there seem no entries in the f-menu allowing me
> to run something like a GUI version of system-config-network,
> as there used to be.
----
system-config-network is for 'network' not 'NetworkManager' and thus
should not be used on systems using NetworkManager. It will only confuse
things for the computer and for the user.

On the fly wireless configuration is entirely dependent upon
NetworkManager and the wireless 'widget' in the system tray should
provide all of the functionality you need. I don't know why you haven't
figured this out already or even gotten that info from whoever you
referred to as being knowledgeable but really... it's there, it works
well and should do everything you need. If not, you should file a bug
report.

Craig

believed to be clean.