Re: Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Hi There,

This discussion will be an endless one - as there will always be people
who don't like it; and people who do. Change always hurts, because you
need to learn computing anew. And it's difficult for many to be humble
enough to say you don't know how to do it - if you already know how to do
it somewhere else.

> One thing is sure: Your new user-base will not be your current (old)
> user-base.
Well, there will be overlap. I liked Gnome2, I adore Gnome3. It is where
computing is going, like it or not. What we now know as desktops will in
the not so very distant future be used only for servers and other large
storage devices. Computing will be entirely mobile, and envision a little
device on your collar (possibly in combination with glasses, but
preferably without) that reads and responds to your arm movements, and
projects your computing environment in front/around you. A keyboard will
no longer be a physical thing, it'll be projected on the surface in front
of you... Gnome3 is - although far from there - going in that direction.
It is - like stated elsewhere - very suitable for PADs (I call them
tablets, but whatever). On Desktops it's very possible to multitask btw,
as long as you have a rather wide display... Then you don't need
everything full screen. :)

The movements needed for use of Gnome3 are very much Grab and Drag. I can
see myself doing this sitting in the garden with a matchbox strapped to my
collar...

Meanwhile, many things do indeed need to change, or at least be improved
in Gnome3 (Fedora 15 is my only reference). Indeed, Power Off (Shut Down,
whatever you wish to call it) needs to be there standard - and not through
a plugin (btw, yes, there's the Are you Sure option, where you can also
decide to reboot).
I'm looking for a better notification/taskbar equivalent. Right now, only
the program on top is shown. More space needs to be made for more open
programs. For example, I use XChat while gaming. There is no notification
what so ever when there's activity on the chat channel - because there's
no space for anything to blink.

And there are more things, but they've been repeated ad nausea (is that
the spelling) so I won't do it here.

> I'd expect people, who are attracted by the kind of GUI, Gnome 3 tries
> to implement, to choose the original, i.e. Apple, Microsoft or Google's
> products over Gnome 3  (which means them not ot use Linux).

There certainly will be some going that way. I am not, and I know a few
people who are with me.

P.S. Sorry, this mail took overnight to compose; a crying kid can be
awfully distracting. :)

--
Greetz,

Roelof Kusters
aka Ben

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it
draws you in.

Make 1000 euros in minutes! Sell my house: http://www.bentrein.com/house