Re: Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

On 07/13/2011 10:32 AM, Tim wrote:
> Hmmph...  Then goes ahead and does something that's likely to do so.
> Statements, like that, are similar to:  With all due respect...
> And:  I don't mean to be critical, but...

That's not how I read it.  It looked to me as though the OP was asking
us our opinion of the article, especially when compared to the recent
changes in Gnome.  The most important difference, IMO, is the fact that
with Gnome, if you really don't like the changes or aren't interested in
that particular kind of change, you can always try a different DE and
probably find one that works the way you like.  If you get a computer
with Windows 8 and it works the way the article describes, you have no
choice if you stick with Windows.  Just as there are people who love
Gnome 3, there will people who would love that kind of a GUI for
Windows, and that's great.  And, of course, there are those who don't
like them at first but will either learn to like them or at least to
adapt to them and that's also fine.  In the long run, the Linux Desktop
evolves, following Darwin's maxim.  Not, however, the way it's usually
misquoted, but as originally written: "Survival of the fit."  (Survival
of the fittest is neither what he wrote or intended.  If only the
fittest survived and bred, few species would be able to survive long
enough to become the fittest; being fit to survive is all it takes.)
Thus, any DE that does what people need can survive in the Linux
universe as long as there are people who like the way it works, and
users are free to look around until they find the one that's best for
them and if that article is right, that freedom may be the "killer app"
that brings large numbers of average users away from the Dark Side.