About Fedora bugs

We were talking the other day, people were mentioning the bugs they got
back from bugzilla recently marked as:

    Fedora 13 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2011-06-25. Fedora 13 is
    no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
    security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.

    If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
    Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.

People were saying that the same problem got the same message a year
ago, but it said "Fedora 11" that time. So I have a suggestion, if no
one in the support group looks at a bug in 180 days, close it with a
DONTCARE status and tell the submitter that no one could be bothered to
even look at the bug in half a year. And do the same thing if a bug sits
in NEEDINFO for six months, if no one responds in that length of time
they probably no longer care.

Users have this unrealistic view that there is a queue of bugs and they
get fixed in the order submitted. The truth is that if you don't hear in
a month you probably won't ever hear unless someone else reports it and
triage catches that they are dups. That doesn't always happen, one of
the bugs I had with FC10 was reported as WONTFIX at EOL, and when I
tried to reproduce it found that it had been fixed months before and no
one bothered to update the bug.

Finally, if someone reports a bug in an app, and the tester finds that
it's supposed to work that way, if the documentation says it works some
other way don't change it to NOTABUG, change it to a documentation bug.
If the conflicting documentation is mentioned in the bug report, take a
minute and get it resolved. Please?

My occasional rant when I look at all the time I wasted reporting bugs...

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen@xxxxxxx>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have