Re: Four Tweaks for Gnome 3

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 02:04:17PM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 3 June 2011 13:19, Olav Vitters <olav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 07:57:18AM -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> >> On 06/03/2011 05:39 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >> ings.
> >> >

> >>   I don't agree - I think the right solution is that extensions vie to
> >> be accepted as part of Gnome Core - otherwise its a losing battle.
> >
> > Extensions are maintained by various people. Further, they're called
> > extensions, they're not part of GNOME because for some reason they
> > weren't wanted.
> >
> > Arguing that extensions should be part of GNOME shell wouldn't make them
> > extensions anymore.
> >
> > Could you explain why instead of allowing anyone to write extensions,
> > you want to limit it to the ones with a GNOME Git account? In practice
> > it'll end up being just the one gnome-shell-extension maintainer? It
> > does not make sense to me.
> >

> There's obviously going to be a mix of extensions that are really
> extensions (things some people want that most don't really need or
> want) and extensions that fix things that are wrong at the moment. I'm
> hoping that the Gnome team are taking notice of some of the work
> that's being done and their next iteration of Gnome 3.0 is saner.

No worries then; I'm actively responding in Fedora lists (and others)
while I normally do not use Fedora. Further, various extensions are
being proposed upstream (more exposure).
Though I'm not a GNOME shell developer, I do see the amount of feedback
they get and it is enough. I've noted when stuff has been raised before.
Note that if there is an issue and it has been raised, it could very
well be 'outstanding'; seems sometimes there is the assumption
everything is set in stone and so on.

Seems the rest of your email is not about extensions anymore. I think it
would have been better as a new thread as it seems unrelated to the
distribution of extensions.

> I'm currently dividing the things that irritate me into familiarity
> issues (not long term problems) and fundamental issues/regressions.
> Some of the later so far (mainly to do with the activities window) in
> short form:
> 1. Applications are now presented in a 2D array across the whole
> screen. This makes looking for something more difficult than scanning
> down a straight list. Particularly as the icons are really too big.
> Might look cool on an iPhone, less useful on a 13" widescreen laptop.
> Haven't dared try it on my desktop pc yet.

I don't have any issues. Search seems nice. This has been raised before
though.

> 2. Associated with #1, more mouse-distance and clicks to start an
> application. Bring up activities window from the dash involves either
> keystroke or mouse to top left (hard into corner or top left and
> click) then mouse down to application and click again. The analogous
> action under Gnome 2 was move to quickstart icon on the panel and
> click. Using the applications menu involves opening the activities
> window, moving (1/3 screen) across to select applications and then
> searching through for the one you want (see #1). If you want to select
> a category you've got to move across the screen again.

You can make stuff as a favourite. Further, there are various ways to
make it easier if you want something quick. See also
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet.

This has been raised before.

> 3. Activities screen tends to wait while applications are busy, on a
> dual core machine. This is horrible. With a busy application I should
> be able to move across to another one and work in that. If I forget
> and start the activites screen I'm locked out for a while.

Sounds like a bug. I've seen some issues about GNOME shell slowing down
(e.g. due to Java bugs and so on). Please file a bug to ensure it gets
fixed.

> 4. What applications are running? Hard to see if a window has crashed
> or closed, because the presentation through the dash collapses that
> information and mixes it with the favourites.

I don't understand this bit. Please just bring it up @ #gnome-design or
send an email to gnome-shell-list.

> 5. What is the application name at the top right /for/? Clicking on it
> presents a drop down that lets me quit the app, but I can think of at
> least three other ways to do that in a typical application. It doesn't
> allow anything else that might be useful like opening another
> instance.

More functionality is being planned for either 3.2 or 3.4. Either
something similar (but not the same) as the global menu thing, or
something more limited.

> 6. Similarly the open-current-window feature of the dash is a good
> idea, but somehow it feels like it could be improved. If I click on
> firefox I want to open another window, not find the open firefox (it's
> a big window, it's obvious on the activities screen and in alt-tab).
> Yes right click gives that option, but this is a bit unsatisfactory
> for what is often the primary action. The Gnome people don't like
> configurability, but how about splitting the dash into sections for
> two the two actions, or splitting the (gigantic) icons in two?

There was discussion about this, but not sure. At the moment there is no
infrastructure for #5 (jump lists / global menu). Pretty sure it'll more
thought will go into this in future.

> 7. Multiple entry points into the same limited configuration menu.
> This annoys me whenever I run into it. Used to be the case in older
> distros, I think Mandriva had something like it, late RH / early
> Fedora maybe. The KDE on the oldish Slackware I run at work.
> Essentially there are lots of ways to get into a configuration menu,
> which turns out to be the same one. So if trying to change settings
> you spend lots of time trying to find an configuration editor to
> change something (see 1#, #2) and then it turns out to start the same
> application that didn't do what you wanted the last time. F12/F13
> finally had some quite powerful and useful configuration tools.

Could you expand on this? I think it is better if you can find your
setting right?

> I think most of these problems could be solved if someone broke into
> Gnome HQ and confiscated all their touchpad PCs.

There is no HQ and it is just a random collection of people whom all
have their own thoughts and ideas. Feel free to help/assist.
--
Regards,
Olav