Re: Mounting cifs

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 08:19 -0700, JD wrote:
> Obviously you have not used at&t uverse service :)

No...  Wrong country

> Without THEIR modem nothing works. Uverse is a
> package: TV, Internet, Phone services. Decryption
> of the TV signal occurs in the modem, and is then
> sent out the same cable on a different frequency,
> which is then picked up by each TV's at&t' STB.
> The modem just has piggybacked into it the WIFI
> and ethernet card.

Sounds like you're stuck, then.  I've never been keen on these bundled
things, as they tend to be jack of all trades, master of none.  And you
end up putting up with something that's bad, or separately handling it,
with the multi-device sitting there to taunt you that you still need
several devices, or services, instead of the all-in-one.

Trying to route through some things just plain sucks.  Back in 1998, I
dabbled with using a Windows box as the NAT box between dial-up and the
LAN.  It was dreadful.  Apart from the usual crashes, it was slow, and
often needed restarting.  Changing over to using a Linux computer as the
NAT device made a remarkable difference.  Things were reliable, and
traffic was surprisingly much faster.

You get the same with some hardware.  Some modem/router devices are just
awful.  Sometimes they can be improved by upgrading their firmware, and
sometimes going back to a prior version improves things.

About all you can do is keep hassling your service provider about this,
letting them know that it's got worse, maybe you'll get a different help
desk staff member one day who can actually change something to the
better.

Their all-in-one service is, most likely, aimed at the average computer
illiterate person who has one or two computers, doesn't really do
anything special with them, is used to general Windows crappiness, and
will also put up with the same crappiness in other gear, because they
don't know any better.  Technology, on a whole, seems to be going in
that direction.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686