Re: So where are my workspaces??

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:30:52 +0930, Tim wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 22:46 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>>         <sigh> Why do people inveterately do (%&&%% videos instead of
>> plain clean prose explanations? <tears beard>
>
> Because they can't give a good explanation?  I'm not even sure that that
> video gives a good explanation of what it's supposed to be doing.

	Such is of course the obvious guess. Back in those ancient days
when I was an undergrad math major, several of us discovered that the
best way to find out of you really had understood something, or were
fooling yourself, was to explain it to someone else.

> Though, it looks like you start opening things on your current space,
> then shuffle them over to some other space.  Like you're continually
> shuffling a deck of cards.

	Sounds like a PITA to me.

> Unlike how I currently *LIKE* doing things, of going to a work space
> that I want to work on, and opening applications normally in that space,
> and that's where they stay unless I drag them over to another.

	They also stay open, and that in a place you can get to without
distracting your attention. Maybe somebody's forgetting that.

	Suppose for instance I need to explain a problem with some
browser to the appropriate Gmane group, or one with Fedora to this list,
which the likes of me are much better off following on Gmane. I'll run
the app through step after step, switching each time to my newsreader; or
if I'm following directions, the reverse.

> I can't say that I'm enamoured with the way things are going, and having
> a whacking great big task bar on the side of the screen with huge
> thumbnails, to manage what used to be done by a small space on an
> existing task bar, doesn't sound very progressive to me.

	Ditto! And I *arrange* my panels, making them fit the way and
frequency I use the apps on them or in their drawers. Doesn't everybody??

> I'm sure it'll
> be a real annoyance on my laptop, going by my experience with compiz.

	I tried compiz when Fedora first offered it, decided quietly that
it was an esthetic and practical abomination to me, and have made a point
of uninstalling it ever since. I hate to complain, if only because it
devours time and raises my blood pressure; but maybe some of us should
have, long since. The developers often seem never to have thought of any
possibile downside to eye candy.

> Sluggish and a slowdown to simply switching from one thing to another,
> brain- and eye-irritating rapid whizzing of graphics around between
> windows and screens.

	I hate any moving image I can possibly do without, even when it's
relevant.