Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On Saturday 02 April 2011 18:45:12 Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 17:42 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > All in all, sooner or later everyone will switch to
> > Gnome3/KDE4/whatever, and these forks will eventually lose the
> > userbase and be abandoned. So I'd say it's better to make a switch
> > right now and get it over with, than to try to keep the old software
> > on life-support, only to make the switch later on. ;-)
>
> Though, when you're faced with having to throw away a few thousand
> dollars of computing hardware (whether that be one expensive computer,
> or several moderate priced computers), you look long and hard about
> whether you waste money on something new, that's going to be just as
> short-lived by the next paradigm change, or you look for something
> that's more efficient to run on your current hardware.  Or, you keep
> running out-of-date installations.
>
> Sure, I accept pushing the envelope for things that need to be gee whiz
> (games, 3D CAD, and whatnot), but not for the desktop behind ordinary
> software.

Of course, I agree, hardware&money limitations are always a pain. But even
Gnome 2 and KDE3.5 were not considered to be lightweight environments. It
would be better to switch to XFCE or LXDE or something similar on those
machines. Or even use some other distro like DSL or something...

It also depends on what you mean by a "desktop behind ordinary software". I
mean, one can still make some nonzero use of, say, an ancient 286 machine
running MS-DOS, for example. And I still have (and moreover, occasionaly even
*use* ) the old Amiga 1200 on my desk, right next to the (fairly modern) PC
and a laptop. Call me sentimental, but I just cannot get myself to trash that
machine, regardless of its age... ;-) Such an old thing also has a fairly
usable desktop, even by today's terms --- you can browse the web (in some
rudimentary form), check your e-mail, write in TeX, play card games, listen to
mp3 music, program in C, etc. It's just a tad bit too slow for more severe
multimedia stuff... ;-)

:-)
Marko