Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On Saturday 02 April 2011 16:08:45 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > My advice is to just try to adapt to new Gnome, or
> > > migrate to KDE or some other DE, and adapt to that. But don't weep and
> > > moan about Gnome 2, it will be effectively dead very soon
>
> I doubt it (but on Fedora *this is true*).  Many folks[*That have a comfort
> zone with Gnome 2.X*] will stick to Fedora 14 till they can adapt to GNOME
> 3 or move on to other desktops.  KDE 3 did not die, BTW it lives as
> trinity desktop:
>
> http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Hmm, this is curious, I didn't know there is a fork out there. :-)

> Some speculate that GNOME 2.X will live on as a fork?  it is possible but
> since we use Fedora many of us users will use what is here and unless we
> are willing to do some work on our own can use the alternative desktops or
> other ways of dealing with this.

The problem with such forks (both KDE and Gnome) lies in the fact that they
will have a hard time supporting new apps. Remember, KDE4 and Gnome 3 provide
new desktop functionality that 3rd party apps will start to use eventually
(some already do). Such apps will run in the old environment in a very limited
way, if at all. For example, will the latest KMail (version 1.13.6) work on
top of Trinity desktop? Maybe, but I doubt. There is also the issue of
maintaining the old code against new versions of backend libraries, etc.

So the fork devs are up to the task of implementing that new functionality
into their fork (which is not easy --- if it were, KDE devs would do the same,
rather than write KDE4 from scratch), or they are up to the task of
maintaining the old versions of 3rd party apps and backend libs, so that users
don't need the modern software. That is also a formidable task, and unlikely
to be interesting for the users.

So while I can only praise the effort and motivation of Trinity devs, I am
pretty skeptic about long-term life of the project. And I dare say that any
potential fork of Gnome 2 will be in the same boat as soon as it starts.

All in all, sooner or later everyone will switch to Gnome3/KDE4/whatever, and
these forks will eventually lose the userbase and be abandoned. So I'd say
it's better to make a switch right now and get it over with, than to try to
keep the old software on life-support, only to make the switch later on. ;-)

:-)
Marko