Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On 1 April 2011 20:41, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 03/28/2011 10:38 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> I've done so for many years, but with Gnome3 my feel is things have
>>> developed into a direction, they have "broken my Camel's back".
>>
>> I have a desktop and a laptop.  I'm thinking of installing XFCE on the
>> laptop, at least and experimenting it.  That way, if Gnome3 (especially
>> Gnome Shell) is as bad as it's beginning to sound, all I have to do is
>> log out, log in with XFCE and be done with it once and for all.
>
> You may not be all that happy with XFCE either, if what you really want is
> GNOME-2. I don't know where to go after fc14, what I want is GNOME-2, and that
> isn't happening, Fedora developers drank the kool-aid and not only gave up the
> far more usable GNOME-2, but also the Fedora theme, replacing with the GNOME-3
> prison bars theme.
>
> It's been a good ride, but unless a better WM comes along fc14 is the final
> destination.

My hardware would not support Gnome 3, so a few weeks ago I started
looking for alternatives. KDE, XFCE and LXDE run fine on my PC, though
I was not feeling enthusiastic about any. So two weeks ago I decided
to go minimalist. I am now running a window manager with a few things
added on top of it. I am quite happy so far, it is more stable than
Gnome 2 + Metacity, and faster

This is not however something that I would recommend to everybody.
When one starts looking for a window manager, one soon gets bewildered
by the choice: there are dozens of them. It took me many hours to
choose one that fit my needs.

Then I spent more hours looking for components that would give me the
functionality of the Gnome panel with its applets that I was used to.
Lastly there is a need to go thorough configuration files (at least
one in XML), and I have encountered bugs in applets which required me
to look at source code, changed a source line here or there to suit my
needs, needed to rebuild conky to get weather information, and so on.
Also depending on the window manager, one may need to know Lisp or
Lua. In other words, a window manager is more suitable for those that
can program.