Re: Fedora 12 Beta

On 10/05/10 17:59, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> I have pushed a fedora 12 beta sparc tree the master mirror, you can find one
> close to you Here under /releases/test/12-Beta/sparc/ the tree is pretty much
> complete. there are a few broken deps that need resolving. Partitioning is
> fragile. it mostly works however sometimes you will be best off to do manual
> partitioning in rescue mode or breaking out into a shell.
>
> Here is a quick list of some of the issues you might hit and workarounds.
>
> serial console install - to have a console on the serial port post install
> pass "console=ttyS0,9600" to the installer
>
> serial console install - to do any customisation at all you need to use vnc
>
> sunblade systems with qlogic hba's for primary storage - Make sure that you do
> a graphical install (vnc or local X) or kickstart and include "hardware
> support" this is so that you have the firmware for your primary storage
>
> install blowing up at partitioning - parted doesnt seem to like old parted
> disk labels. in rescue mode "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=2" where
> X == the valuse of each disk
>
> partitioning is fragile - simple partitioning works fine more complicated
> setups might require you to manual use parted to setup the partitioning you
> want and then choosing custom partitiing and allocate as you need to
>
> less than 512mb ram - using vnc you may get OOM during package install. you
> will need to either do a default install or select a smaller package set
>
> repo issues when installing - There is not repos exactly as anaconda wants
> when doing a netinstall. you can pass repo="path to mirror" or fix up in the
> gui
>
> Oh and partitioning is fragile, it looks like F-13 will be better
>
> And things i've likely forgotten or missed, please drop into #fedora-sparc on
> freenode for assistance, questions or feedback.
>
> Thanks Dennis

Good work Dennis: I just updated from a current FC12 install with the following (very trivial) problems:

Packages skipped because of dependency problems:
     libgee-0.5.0-1.fc12.sparcv9 from updates
     setroubleshoot-plugins-2.1.45-1.fc12.noarch from updates

Also thanks to Rafal for the GPG pointer - I'm ashamed to say I simply disabled signature checking
in /etc/yum.repos.d/* because I just couldn't be bothered to fix it.

 >Rafal said:
I wonder what is the proper fix. My was:
root@pingwin:/etc/pki/rpm-gpg,1# ln -s RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-12-sparc RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-sparc

I do wonder if there is anyway to be more useful in my testing process from a developer
point-of-view: I don't own/run any particularly exotic sun hardware, I'm a sysadmin rather than a
programmer so have catastrophically limited programming ability and I feel I can contribute little
other than hammering the very latest releases on my available hardware and letting you guys know how
it went.

Please advise if there's something useful I can contribute over and above firing up strace when
something blows up. Just for a start, would it be more helpful to try vanilla installs from source
every time you do a fresh build, rather than yum-upgrading?

Cheers,

mat