Re: [Aurora-sparc-user] Fwd: SPARC Status update

On 04/07/2010 10:48 PM, mat wrote:

> God, I just re-read this and it seems like a terrible flame but I hate
> because I love. Please, please unfuck Aurora so I can actually use it
> again.

You're right Mat. We should just retire Aurora. All of our work lately
has been into getting a solid Fedora 12 release, and we're really,
really close. (I did an F-12 GUI install on a U10, and Dennis swears he
has auto-partitioning working.)

The original reason I created Aurora was because Red Hat Linux dropped
support for SPARC, and I couldn't legally call it "Red Hat Linux"
anymore. Now, with Fedora, we have a solid infrastructure for doing a
architecture port and permission to use the name.

Aurora is now Fedora SPARC.

We'll take steps to make that clear in the old Aurora website, and we'll
be closing up the mailing lists here soon. (The archives will stick
around indefinitely, thanks to our generous hosting provider.)

Fedora SPARC has a new mailing list, with some recent activity even:

And hey, even if you're not a 12 year old (I haven't been 12 in almost
20 years), we are talking on IRC about our work, and you're welcome to
join us on #fedora-sparc. I'll try to post more regularly to the
fedora-sparc mailing list, and guilt Dennis into doing it too.

Give our latest builds a try:

Download the ISO from here:
http://secondary.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/test/12-Alpha/Fedora/sparc/iso/

Then, append "updates=http://sparc.koji.fedoraproject.org/updates.img";
to your install (assuming you want more functional partitioning).

The plan is to get a very solid Beta out once we have most of the key
packages rebuilding, get some testing feedback, then mark it as Fedora
12 and move on to 13.

****
To everyone who helped us out in the Aurora SPARC Linux Project, thank
you. We outlasted Sun (barely), and we hope you'll come join us in
Fedora SPARC. Same core people, same craziness, (some of the same bugs),
and same fun. :)

~spot